Wednesday 2 January 2013

New Year - an inspired beginning: What 9-year-olds can teach us about making a difference



I wrote this blog for my business account. But unfortunately it wasn't suitable. So I decided to post it myself - because it has a message that I think is worth sharing. Enjoy!

---------------

A few months ago a teacher friend of mine was trying to teach her kids why it’s still important to write letters when we have email – a challenging task. She told them about the amazing TED talk she watched and how a letter-writer inspired the whole of New York to start making a difference. It started with one hand-written letter and spread to an epidemic of good feeling and inspiration.

As she describes in her blog post, small ideas can blossom into great things, and this one did. The next day one of her pupils brought in a hand-written note, and hid it somewhere on the school property. It said:

“To a lovely person
You are great. There is nothing you can’t do if you put your mind to it.
Be brave.
Love from ?”

The repercussions of this small action were far-reaching. Not only did it bring tears to the eyes of the teacher who was still struggling with the death of her sister for several years, it inspired several other members of her class to start doing the same thing. The outpouring of love and healing was slow and steady and remarkable.

It made me realise that in our busy, hurried lives, we touch so many people – each of whom has their own challenges, emotions and concerns. When we travel for business, the number of people we interact with swells above our normal daily number, and we don’t even ‘see’ most of them.

So this year, I’m planning to pay more attention to the people who help make my business trips a bit easier.

  1. I’m going to say thank you to the person who is scanning my bags at the airport. After, they are actually doing their job to make me safer.
  2. I’m going to smile at the person who checks my passport. I can’t imagine that they have many people who feel positively towards them normally.
  3. I’m going to look a cleaner in the eye, when they’re picking litter up off the floor of a train, plane, or station platform and thank them for the job they’re doing.
  4. I’m going to buy a cup of coffee for the person in the line behind me at a cafĂ©, just to make their day.                         And the clincher... 
  5. I’m going to leave a random note, for a stranger, on my morning commuter train. Who knows, maybe I’ll make someone’s day, like the New York letter-writer, or my friend’s school pupils. However it pans out (and the chances are that I will never know what really happens) I believe that the world deserves a chance to get off to a good start in 2013, and I’m going to do what I can to help make that happen.

What will you do to make other people’s lives better in 2013? I challenge you to find a way to make someone smile today.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this blog - particularly the bit explaining what YOU were going to do. I don't use public transport much, but I do go walking, and could certainly drop a letter into one of my neighbourhood letter boxes. What a lovely idea! I have been thinking for a long time now that some of the pavement gardens give me such pleasure, it would be good to share that feeling with the people who have made the garden so beautiful. So that will be my New Year's REsolution. Thank you so much, Bronwen

    ReplyDelete